Monday, November 10, 2014

Wasting Time: Favorite Websites

Since I have been spending way too much time browsing the internet instead of writing, I thought I would share some of my favorite websites and blogs. Some of these are helpful for aspiring writers like myself and some are just good for laughs or wasting time hoping that inspiration will hit you again. 

  • NaNoWriMo - Of course, right? I could spend hours wasting time in the forums. My favorites are the Adoption forums because I'm always having a problem coming up with a good name for characters and the Games forum because what better way to procrastinate than to goof off with other procrastinating writers? 
  • Masquerade Crew - This may be considered shameless promotion but I love this site because I am a crew review member. I've only reviewed one book so far but the selection of books to review is pretty awesome and I am looking forward to doing more soon. This is also a great site to find a new book to read if you're having problems trying to decide what to read next. 
  • Kandee J - I love, love, love Kandee Johnson and all of her fabulous makeup tutorials. My husband loves her too because she's the reason his wife looks closer to the hot momma he first fell in love with and less like the sweat pants, pony-tail wearing housewife/stay-at-home-mom that he sees every day. (Thank you, Kandee J!)  Also, check out her personal blog. She's great. I love her. KandeeLand
  • Mental Floss - Because you need to know that there are roughly 70 ingredients in a McRib. And the 50 old British words that we need to bring back into casual conversation. If you feel Floby-Mobly (look it up), browsing Mental Floss just might make it better. 
  • Writer's Digest - This one is pretty self-explanatory. Writer's Digest provides all kind of resources for writers in all stages of their writing. I especially love reading the stories of how people found their publishers because it gives me hope that one day maybe I'll be able to tell one of those great stories. 
  • Novelicious - This is a great website for readers and writers of women's fiction. I waste way too much time on this site too reading the writing tips and book reviews. Love the ladies on this site and the writing tips are great! 
  • I Write Like - This is a fun website if you want to compare your writing to well-known authors. You paste in a little bit of your writing and the analyzer tells you who you most write like. Depending on the story, it tells me I write like Ian Fleming and Chuck Palahniuk. If you every need a confidence boost, I would say this would be a good site to visit. 
That's all for now. I'm sure I'll have more to share later since I'm so easily distracted. Also, Twitter. If you ever want to get sucked into a time warp and wonder what you've done with the last three hours of your life, just get on Twitter. 

What are some of your favorite sites to waste time on? 
Web Analytics