Thursday, November 6, 2014

NaNoWriMo is the starting point.....


Ever since I was a little girl, I've been fascinated by the art of storytelling. I was obsessed with books and would burn through the stacks my mother gave me with a quickness. With every book that I read though, I noticed a pattern in my response to the books. No matter how in love with a story I was, I would always find something I wanted to change. And it was usually the endings. I have an issue with the endings of books. Any time someone asks me for a book review, I give them the best one that I can all while thinking to myself, "But the ending..". 

For years I would try my hand at writing my own stories, inspired by my favorite books. Hunched over my father's old military typewriter, I would pour my little heart and soul into these stories that were bouncing around in my brain. The tick-tick-ticking sound of the typewriter keys singing their siren song for me to just keep writing. And then another pattern appeared. As much as I wanted to change the endings of my favorite stories, I couldn't seem to write my own endings. I could write and write and write and then write some more but I couldn't seem to end whatever I was writing. I finally got so frustrated with myself that I just gave up writing. When that old, worn out typewriter finally ran out of ink, I put it back in my dad's office and just walked out. I wouldn't pick up a pen for several years. 

Those quiet years of what I like to call my "writing depression" are now over. I'm in a completely different place in my life and I have an amazing support system in place who encourages me daily to get back into writing. NaNoWriMo is my starting point. I was terrified of taking something like this on at first but after only five days I already have amassed nearly 30k words! And the best part is that I know my ending. I knew the ending of this story before I knew anything else. Even if I get to the very end of this story and it doesn't come out exactly like it has been sitting in my head, I still know how it generally plays out. And that excites the hell out of me! 

Are you taking part in NaNoWriMo? What are you area problems in your writing? 

Web Analytics